Wednesday 30 August 2017

Table of Contents.


 I’m not sure if it’s just me, but each time I open a novel and find one of these lists of named chapters, I can’t help momentarily imagining it as the track list for some kind of extraordinary psychedelic/prog/baroque-pop concept album.

This one, from ‘Ghost in the Water’ (posted here) works particularly well in that regard. (It has a bit of a “best album Boards of Canada never made” feel to it in places.)

I’ve always thought it could be a pretty enjoyable collaborative project actually… assembling a load of bands and artists, and getting them to each come up with a track to fit one of the titles, or somesuch.

(I’m not sure I have the time or talent to do justice to ‘A Plan of Fiery Holes’ or ‘What Happened to Abigail Parkes?’, but hopefully I could at least have a bash at the self-explanatory ‘The Sampler Smashes’…)

2 comments:

  1. Heck yes! I might have a crack at a couple of these. "The Sampler Smashes" would be appropriate. and "What Happened to Abigail Parkes?" is pretty evocative.

    Do you remember we did something like this on Barbelith? I posted a list of chapter headings from some science book and peeps used them to create a piece of fiction, one chapter at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'oh! I see I've picked the same couple of tracks that you went for. Great minds etc :D

      Delete